Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Brown Wheat Bread - Cheesecake Factory Style using TangZhong Method (湯種法)

066edited

If you’ve been to Cheesecake Factory, you probably know about the Brown Wheat Bread that they serve before your order arrives.  They are addictive!  There were times I ate so much of this bread that I couldn’t even finish 1/3 of my entrée.  I’ve been searching high and low over the internet for the recipe, but with no luck.  As you know, I love baking bread at home especially with the TangZhang method (湯種法).  If you’re not familiar with the TangZhong method, please refer to my posts here, here and here. You’ll see why I love this method so much.  Lately, I’ve been experimenting this recipe to incorporate the TangZhang method for this brown wheat bread.  The result was Ah—mazing!

Chicago Metallic 17x9-in. Nonstick Professional Nonstick Perforated Baguette Pan
Product Picture from Amazon

I used this baking pan as shown from the picture above to make these baguettes.  They are perfect for this recipe.  The perforated pan keeps the bread baking evenly and the unique shape helps the loaves stay in their round shape.  For more details about this pan, please to go the “Equipment” tab above this post or simply click here.

131edited

Just like how they'd serve it in Cheesecake Factory, a small tab of butter or margarine is all you need for this amazing brown wheat bread.  Its flavor is rich and complex.  You’ll taste a hint of molasses and rye in the background along with the cocoa.  The texture is smooth and soft (thanks to the TangZhong method, the bread stays soft and tender for a few days) with a bit of crunch from the oaks on top.  Hm…now, I can enjoy this wonderful bread anytime at home without the wait and the noise from Cheesecake Factory! 

110edited







Brown Wheat Bread - Cheesecake Factory Style using TangZhong Method (湯種法):
Printable Recipe

Makes 3 (16 inch) loaves

Ingredients for TangZhong湯種:
3/4 cup boiling water
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons bread flour

Ingredients for Brown Wheat Bread:
1 cup warm milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 tablespoons molasses
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup bread flour
1 cup rye flour
1 tablespoon active dry yeast

Ingredients for the top:
1 Egg
1/4 cup old fashion oaks

To Prepare the TangZhong湯種:
Place bread flour in a small bowl, pour boiling water over the bread flour and stir quickly with a fork to combine until no lumps.

When it’s slight cooled, wrap the mixture (it'll be a very wet dough) with plastic wrap, form dough in ball/round shape and leave in a bowl in the refrigerator overnight.


To Make The Bread:
1. Take out the TangZhong 湯種 from the fridge at least an hour before use (I usually leave it on countertop until it's room temperature).

2. In a bread machine, pour in ingredient in this order, warm milk, TangZhong 湯種, salt, sugar, cocoa powder, vegetable oil, molasses, whole wheat flour, bread flour, rye flour, and yeast. Set bread machine to dough setting according to its user menu.

3. When dough is ready, spray baking pan and your hands with a little cooking spray.  Take dough out from bread machine and punch it a few times to deflate it. Divide dough into 3 equal portions and shape them into balls. Leave them in a warm place to rest for 15-20 minutes.

4. Knead each dough ball a few times and roll each into a 16 inch long log. Place them onto the 17x9x-inch baguette loaf pan. Let dough proof the 2nd round for 45 minutes to an hour in a warm and moist place.

5. Preheat oven 425°F. Brush egg wash on top, sprinkle oaks on top and bake for 20-22 minutes

Tips: When proofing the dough, make sure it's in a warm place and covered with a towel or plastic wrap so it won't dry out. I usually place it in the oven (uncover and off the heat) with a bowl of hot water.

Note: The dough setting on my bread machine kneads the dough for 27 minutes and keeps the dough warm to proof for 1 hour.  If you don’t have a bread machine and knead your dough by hand, make sure you knead the dough for 15 to 20 minutes (depends on your strength and speed) and proof it for a hour until the dough double in size before you move on to step 3 from above.)

This recipe is shared with:

Foodie Friday
Melt in Your Mouth Monday
On The Menu Monday

26 comments:

  1. Amy, I was wondering the other day while making bread with Tanzhong method whether I can substitute whole wheat and here is my answer, thanks for sharing this...this sure looks perfect and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my Amy, the bread look truely awesome! I love the mixture of flour you've used on it. Amazing job!
    Hope you're having a great day.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's my favorite bread at Cheesecake Factory too, Amy. Your version looks really good!..Christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, wow! These look absolutely divine! Your photos are stunning! LOVE THIS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am OBSESSED with the bread at cheesecake factory! OBSESSED! i am now making this. now. i don't know how to do that in my office during my break but, it's happening.... wow. going to a bread-crazy place... thanks for posting, as always i love your blog :)
    -meg
    @ http://clutzycooking.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks divine, beautiful presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great picture. The bread just looks fantastic. Come over and visit us. We have a delicious Southern favorite today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, I love their bread too. In fact I like that bread better than their meals, LOL! This looks just like it too. YUM!!! Beautiful Pictures, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. had to laugh at the GREAT series of photos... take em fast before the butter melts and I think this bread sounds amazing. Beautiful look

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't leave this bread alone when we go to the Cheesecake Factory. I never thought I would have the recipe so I could make it at home. Many thanks, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that kind of dark bread too... Beautiful photos too!

    Good Rule: Keep Cool
    ~Rainey @ The Project Table~

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man! I wish I had that warm and on my desk right now (along with a slab of butter.) Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My gosh, your bread look delicious! I will have to read through your posts and learn this method.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always love your presentation! it makes whatever you cook more delish!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You definitely hit the mark with this brown wheat bread:) Add some butter and I would be happy with this as my entree!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow this looks really really good and I can't believe I've never thought about adding some cocoa into my bread to make it chocolatey and oh so gorgeous! Love the oat topping too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have a very different TangZhong bread here, and I believe it is both soft and smooth.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Amy, I love Cheesecakes brown bread too!
    Yours looks even better,,,it probably is!
    Your photo is inticing! Have a blessed week-end my friend. I'll be checking out your other posts about the TangZhong method...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yummy, this looks delicious! This is my favorite type of bread from there. I will have to give this a try.
    Holy Cannoli Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a GREAT recipe! I would love it if you came over to Cast Party Wednesday tomorrow and shared this and other recipes with us! :)
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks so good!! I can't wait to try this with some honey butter... yummy!
    -Ami

    ReplyDelete
  22. Amy,

    I can't wait to try this recipe! I'm also your newest follower.

    -Jillian @ Food, Folks, and Fun

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the sweet earthniess of brown bread. So good with butter, too. Mmm, your loaves look totally divine.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is what I look forward to every time I got to the Cheese Cake Factory. Now I can bring the experience home.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Aaaahh! That Cheesecake factory bread is my FAVORITE! I don't care much for the oats but when it's warm and has butter on it I could probably eat a whole loaf to myself! I cannot wait to make this!

    -Rosie

    ReplyDelete