Thursday, November 4, 2010

High Tea--Smoke Salmon and Brie Crackers

Smoke Salmon--Appetizers

In Hong Kong (where I grew up), "tea" denotes a light meal served in mid-afternoon from 2pm to 6pm.  This is a practice that Hong Kong people adopted from the British concept of Afternoon Tea during the late period of British colonial rule. Afternoon Tea is common, although not a meal served daily (oh well, it is served daily in my home though). The food taken consists of some light meals or snacks such as sandwiches, toast, or more substantial fares served together with milk tea, coffee, Horlicks, Ovaltine, yuenyeung, lemon tea for Western style food, and Chinese tea for Chinese style food.  Elaborate versions of English-style Afternoon Tea is often described as "High Tea" by Hong Kong people.

Smoke Salmon--Appetizers

Whatever you want to call it, High Tea, afternoon snack, or light meal, you name it, we'll take it.  As long as I can continue to serve it at home.  I can skip lunch (if I had a huge brunch or breakfast that day), but I can never skip the afternoon tea.  It’s more than a ritual, according to my stomach.  When the clock strikes 4pm, you bet I’ll be in the kitchen area looking for snacks.  Today, I have some companies over at my place.  So, I prepared something more elegant this afternoon.  Don’t let the look trick you though, they’re super easy to make.  They’re best served with a cup of black tea or lemon tea.  This is such a perfect afternoon!     

Smoke Salmon--Appetizers



Smoke Salmon and Brie Crackers:
Makes: 16 Crackers

Ingredients:
16 Crackers (whatever brand you preferred)
8 Pieces of Smoke Wild Salmon
1/2 Lemon
2-3 Ounces of Brie
2 Tablespoons Capers
Dill (fresh or dry)

Spread a teaspoon of brie on each cracker. Top with 1/2 a piece of salmon each and squeeze a few drops of fresh lemon juice over the salmon. Top each salmon with a few capers, sprinkle some dill on top and enjoy.

Note: I think this could be the easiest recipe, ever! LOL

1 comment:

  1. YUM! I have all of the ingredients on hand. What a great excuse to begin my own tradition of afternoon tea.

    ReplyDelete